Upcoming Schedule: Cohort 6 | April 11 - May 5
This online training workshop is designed to capacitate selected public and private HEIs to undertake ethical social science research and to assist their establishment of an internal research ethics review board.
Interested in joining our next cohort?
About the Training
In 2019, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) issued Memorandum Order No. 15 which states that higher education institutions (HEIs) must have their “own research ethics review mechanism” or “partner with a recognized ethics review board” in the conduct of research involving human participants or animal subjects.
The project, Specialized Training on Ethics for Public and Private HEIs (STEPP-HEIs): Capacitating HEIs on Applying Ethical Practices in the Academe and in the Conduct of Social Science Research, aims to fill the knowledge gap on what public and private HEIs know and think about ethics and how much they bring to bear ethical principles or standards in the academe and in their conduct of social science research projects. It aims to entrench or embed ethical standards in human-participant research among public and private HEIs in the Philippines, focusing on social science research. The proposed training also seeks to capacitate the public and private HEIs to be ethical in their practice in the academe and in the conduct of research; and establish an internal research board in the process.
The Training Program has three class schedules (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons at 1:00-5:00 PM). Participants are requested to choose and to join one class:
Ethical Issues in Social Science Research in the Academe and how these should be solved
Maintaining Research Integrity and Designing Research for Social Justice
Privacy and Consent in Social Science Research
Guidelines for ethics review of social science research
Who can join?
Please take note of the following criteria for HEIs and for participants.
Required criteria for HEIs:
- HEIs with research centers or units whose primary function is the conduct of research or provision of research services.
- HEIs without an existing research ethics review board or committee.
Required criteria for participants:
- A faculty member or researcher actively engaged in producing research, has produced publications or has attended or presented papers in trainings and conferences.
- A faculty member with the rank of Assistant Professor or higher, with Master’s or Doctoral degree.
- A faculty member who has been serving the university or college for at least three years.
Preferred but not required:
- Both sexes should be represented.
- A prospective member of the Ethics Review Board or Committee or any other similar research ethics evaluation body to be established by the HEI’s social science unit or college.
- A research adviser of the HEI’s social science unit or college; and
- A faculty member who teaches research ethics, research methods, or related courses in the HEI’s social science unit or college.
Meet the Speakers
Dr. Almond Pilar N. Aguila
Dr. Ma. Carinnes P. Alejandria
Prof. Fatima Castillo
Dr. Grace H. Aguiling-Dalisay
Dr. Ma. Cecilia Gastardo-Conaco
Dr. Filomin Candaliza-Gutierrez
Prof. Stella P. Go
Dr. Francis Julius N. Evangelista
Dr. Josefina Natividad
Dr. Diwa Malaya A. Quiñones
Dr. Peter Sy
Dr. Cristina Torres